It’s our favorite leading man’s birthday February 11. The lot of us got together to flesh out all the various things we love about him. How many things did we come up with, you ask? Why, 46, of course, to coincide with the number of trips Damian has made around the sun. Happy Birthday Damian!
1. He’s a smart cookie. Damian often speaks self-deprecatingly of not having gone to university, of just becoming an “ACT-terr” as if it’s comparable to lugging timber or fixing leaky faucets. Maybe this speaks to the differences between professional and vocational education in the UK vs. here. (although there used to be more vocational opportunities in the States once upon a time too) But, heck, if he’s a “drop-out” then the folks on this side of the pond have a lot of catching up to do in terms of basic liberal arts education. He knows his stuff.
2. An extension of my first reason, really: He works hard at really getting to know what the heck he’s been employed to do. He researches extensively, reads, talks to subject matter experts, reads some more. He thinks of his job as a learning opportunity and it shows in the work he does. No phoning it in for this guy.
3. He’s gosh darn beautiful on the outside. The kind of beauty that’s unexpected, takes you by surprise, and, boy, are you glad you decided to let yourself be surprised. He’s a stunner, even when he’s not.
4. He’s beautiful on the inside. Great dad and husband, doing lots of good works in his community (mentoring creativity) and the world at large (support for Sohana and Soccer Aid to name just a couple). He’s not sitting on his fame in some tower, unwilling to mix with the masses. He gets down to all levels of humanity, not just for the photo opp, but from genuinely loving the opportunity to do it.
5. He’s diplomatic and always kind, but still allows his opinions be known. He has the heart of a humanist who doesn’t really want to cause too many waves but also doesn’t want injustice to walk by unchecked. I have a feeling he’ll be becoming more and more outspoken about issues he believes in. It’s only natural, as his career becomes ever more entrenched and his platform grows.
6. He’s so kind; did I say that already? Well, the kindness of a celebrity who doesn’t really need to be kind deserves another note. He seems to genuinely care about people and he’s not shy about showing it.
7. Which leads me to….he’s so confident! Sure, we all love characters who show vulnerability, and Damian can play those characters in spades, but as for the man, himself, Damian seems to exude an unabashed confidence while still showing sensitivity. Not an easy thing to pull off. Seems there are two ways to be: Either the world wounds you deeply and you shrink away and just hope to survive it or you walk belly-up to the bar and take over the room. He seems to inhabit both ways to be, and it’s really remarkable and super attractive.
8. He’s a goofball when the situation allows. I’ve always said goofiness is next to godliness. He takes pleasure in making people laugh. How can you not love such a trait?
9. He knows his strengths, he doesn’t pander, he doesn’t compromise. He’s not taking roles just to take them. He’s not willing to pigeonhole himself into what others want him to be. He knows his art, he knows what he loves, and he ventures forth only when the conditions are just right. A luxury perhaps to be able to do, but, really as simple as that.
11. The man grew up on Abbey Road and I grew up with the Beatles on repeat.
12. The fact that he and his lovely other half met and fell in love while doing a stage production that bombed.
13. His passion for football is something I can identify with, being a mad football fan myself. I felt a tad sorry for him reading that mum had bought son an Arsenal top (since Damian is a Liverpool fan). Coming from a footy daft family, I know what it means to pass down the generations.
14. The geeky, awkward side of him that occasionally shines through. Love it! (and I say that with love). Completely adorable.
15. Shocking a lot of people with the revelation he is British when picking up his Emmy for playing Brody in Homeland.
16. Billions, season 1, episode 10 – for being-co-responsible for bringing the hilariously scripted fake fight scene to life and making it very enjoyable to watch. Small and insignificant as a scene in TV might seem, we all need a laugh at points in life. This scene did what it was supposed to and then some.
17. His portrayal of Brody which was heartbreakingly excellent and deservedly got him that Emmy, together with Claire Danes. The two of them were a joy to watch on screen together.
18. His outstanding performance as Dick Winters in the superb Band of Brothers. That haunted look after the discovery of the concentration camp in ep 9 is staying with me. The actual soldiers in tears at points in the extras says it all too.
28. Diverse: Damian has the ability to play a big time hedge fund manager, the King of England, an LA Detective, a US Marine turned terrorist, etc. and you never see the same person in any of the characters! In this way, he so reminds me of Al Pacino. His diversity and range knows no bounds.
29. Affable: In interviews or on panels (like Paley Live), Damian emits kindness and warmth. He is so comfortable in whom he is, and it shows in his easygoing, pleasant way.
30. Magnanimous: Using his platform as actor, he gives his time to many charities, most recently his support for finding a cure for cancer on World Cancer Day. Oh, and being generous with his time with Damianista!
31. Interested: I love the fact that Damian met with real hedge fund managers in his preparation of playing Bobby Axelrod. Since he had never lived that kind of life, he was interested in what makes this people tick, why they do what they do. And I truly believe he learned a lot, because he nails the character of Axe!
32. Attractive: Let’s face it. We love his acting, but being handsome certainly doesn’t hurt. I mean really, would we have fallen in love with Brody if he looked like Tony Soprano? I think not!
33. Natty: Every girl’s crazy for a sharp dressed man! And well, there are not too many sharper dressed than the Ginger Man himself. Whether it be in a tuxedo, jean and a sports jacket, or my favorite, a Metallica t-shirt, he looks smashing!
34. Humble: He’s a huge star, but you would never know it! I mean really, could you imagine Brad Pitt riding the tube? I thought not!
35. Engaged: Giving our little blog a video shout-out, well, we know he is engaged with his fans, and he actually likes our work! What is not to love about that?
36. Enthralling: Whether it be Charlie Crews, Nick Brody, Bobby Axelrod, or Henry VIII, when Damian Lewis on the screen, or on the stage, he captures and holds your attention!
37. Damian is my fellow Aquarian!
38. He is married to a kick-ass woman, Helen McCrory!
39. He shares my love for football and uses it as a form of therapy. “I enjoy the total absorption in a white ball and 10 other guys and the focus, and the way it releases everything else from your mind. It’s brilliant, it’s the best occupational therapy I can think of. You run around and get fit and it releases any anger or tension that you have. I used to play at 7.30 on Thursday mornings in New York. I’d haul myself out of bed, even if I’d had a night shoot that finished at 2am and go and play. I love it.’ And the man is a wiz on the field. Look at Damian pulling a Cruyff turn at Soccer Aid 2016. Standing Ovation!
40. HIS WORDS at SAG-AFTRA interview make me love and his “small head” 😀
“There seems to be a distinction between actors and film stars here [US]. A film star can be a brilliant actor. There are some film stars who are brilliant actors, and they are lucky they get to be both And then there are some film stars whose bandwidth is less broad and what they have perfected is a persona. And it’s that persona, that film persona, is what they project so successfully. And, in fact, I have had producers say to me “before you choose your persona, what is your film persona? And what would you then project in order to be that film star?” And that is way too complicated for my small head to grapple with.”
41. THE Eyebrow. If you don’t know what I mean, see below 🙂 And, believe it or not, Damian gave me the eyebrow once.
42. DAMIAN READS! He always has a book in his hand, under his arm, or in his pocket.
43. He shares my love for Mad Men and Don Draper!
44. Damian is the king of Karaoke or “just a hunk, a hunk of burning love 😀
45. Nicholas Brody! I was a regular woman attending to her own thing UNTIL that red-headed US Marine/POW came along unexpectedly and turned everything upside down! If there had been no Brody, there would have been no blog. And since I can easily cite this journey as one of the most rewarding experiences in my life, I cannot thank Damian enough for changing my life and I love him for it!
46. We have this blog to share our love for Damian and to build a community around it. The constant love and support we get from our readers give the experience its real meaning. Love breeds love and this alone is a reason to love Damian. Please enjoy a sweet limerick written by Lynda, a wonderful reader and a beautiful person, for Damian’s birthday. Cheers <3